Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vitamin B-12

If there is a vitamin deficiency concern about a vegan diet, it is most likely about Vitamin B-12. It is primarily found in animal products like beef liver, salmon steak, and beef. However, many people do not know that you can find B-12 in non-animal sources. Here is a list of non-animal sources of B-12:
  • Brewer's Yeast: 2 T has 2.0 ug (equal to 3 oz. of beef)
  • Nori: 2 sheets has 2.0 ug
  • Wakam, Kombu, Arame: 3 wet oz. has 1.5-5.3 ug
Micro-algaes (found in most green drinks):
  • "Super Blue Green": 3 g has 23.1 ug
  • Chlorella: 3 g has 4.0 ug
  • Spirulina: 3g has 1.2 ug
These are excellent ways, other than a multi-vitamin, to get your B-12's.

Joelle

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Joelle! I have worried a little if I'm getting everything I need. I know I just need to research, but why do that when I've got you? I'm complete vegan, so do I need B12 supplements? Fish oils? Flaxseed oils? Vitamin D supplements? What do I need to focus on as far as supplements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Jess, you're so funny. For your B12 I would suggest getting a good green drink and a high quality Multi-vitamin. Maybe I'll make a RDA nutrient spreadsheet or something but until then, I'll just make a post about it so I can color code. Let me know if you have questions. Ella's awake, I'll have to get back later on.

    ReplyDelete