Friday, March 27, 2009

Good Grains

We missed you Joelle and Brant at the Healthy Cooking class with Brandon. There was a lot of people there at KeriLyns, despite the heavy snowfall! Everyone that came was glad they did! I was totally inspired to make a conscious effort toward better health. Our bodies are the only place we have to live! I want mine to be a lean clean healthy machine! He (Brandon) demonstrated how to incorporate more grains into our diet and he was a living testimonial to how beneficial this is. Amaranth, Quinoa, Kamut, Spelt, Buckwheat, Hulled Barley were the main grains he used to make "Dads Pancakes", beautiful loaves of bread and yummy scones cooked in coconut oil (which by the way I learned has many benefits, one that it is a medium chained triglyceride (sp?) which is converted to energy quicker and less likely to be stored as fat, even though it is full of saturated fat) it is also the safest oil to use in high heat cooking since to doesnt transform when heated like other oils (but you probably allready knew that). I learned that Amaranth is the number one nutritous grain, with Quinoa and Kamut following closely on the nutient level. He used Rumford baking soda in his cooking cause it dosent have aluminum in it like regular store brands. He is a huge fan of Xagave for sweetner, since it is the lowest on the insilin spiking levels 30 - 35, where sugar is at 90 and honey at around 80 I think he said. White agave has recommended daily allowance of calcium for women in one tablespoon! Xagave is made from both blue and white Xagave which contains more fiber and nutrients than just getting one or the other. There was so much information shared. Maybe Mom, KeriLyn and Jess can share what they remember. Anyway - sorry for going on and on, I'm just excited about getting on the path to better health!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome to know Tiff, thanks for sharing. I didn't know about the Agave (Xagave) and how low it's glycemic index is, good to know, I'll have to find some. The recipes look great too, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just what I needed to learn as well! I came home so pumped up! I told Ryan everything! He loves nutrition! I just was muscle tested by Matt and I'm intolerant to corn, carrots, soy, wheat glutern, msg, dairy, and eggs. I was frustrated because I didn't know what to eat. So this class had ALL the info I needed to start feeling better, and to not have that horrible tummy ache anymore after I eat. I enjoyed how he brought up the book "eat right for your type" He said he lost 20 lbs. the first month, and hasn't been sick for 10 months! He taught so many gluten free cooking tips and recipes! Use dough enhancer and xanthan gum or guar gum to hold the grains together. He taught how to make rice and almond milk!

    ReplyDelete